Friday, June 22, 2012

Movie Trailer and Nation's Personality

Nope, this is not a blog post about how our TV is filled with not-fun-to-watch drama, include Sinetron, FTVs, and even (self-named) news investigations. No. This is about my curiosity--and realization--about two trailers that completely different while addressing to one same movie.

That movie is "A Monster in Paris". Captivated by a trailer I (forced to) watch while waiting for a movie to play in a cinema, I instantly fell for its "Phantom of the opera"-ish theme but sweeter content. After all, that's what you expect from some CG Animation Movie. And so, I Googled it, and this is what I found:



International Trailer of A Monster in Paris

Aside from the French, which I couldn't understand, I was totally captivated with THIS version of trailer. This trailer emphasize the romance between Lucille and Francoeur, as opposed to the anglophone version which emphasize the adventure of all main characters. Not that I don't like the "adventure" theme. It just that, there's a lot of CG movies nowadays, and this "romance" trailer differentiate this movie than any CG trailer I ever saw (to date). 

And, as this trailer is intended to French-speaking Gentlemen (and their family), I (loosely) assume that French people are attracted to romance and drama. Which emphasize their stereotype as hopelessly romantic. On the other hand, English-speaking people (as in US and UK), are born adventurer, and more attracted to quick action and slapstick humor.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment